WEEK 1 July 3 – 6, 2018 Summer Camp Program
(Monday is a Holiday, Camp Begins on Tuesday)
Timeless Mysteries Week
Our first week of summer camp is devoted to “investigation”. Expect the unexpected and prepare yourself for a new adventure. Patience, attention to detail and teamwork will all be challenged this week and put to the test. Parents are invited to our camp wide “Show and share Friday” on a drop-in basis from 3:30-5:30pm.
FAQs & Orientation:
For more information about the camp, parking, and first day procedures, please review our Video, and Frequesntly Asked Questions page. The video is especially useful to share with children who have first day of camp jitters (and parents too!). Some of our personnel and group names have changed (and staff now wear white uniform shirts).
Pre-camp check list:
- a healthy tree nut, peanut and sesame free LUNCH
(parents will be called to bring in a lunch if it is forgotten)
- two extra small snacks (for nibbling during breaks during the main program, we provide an additional a.m and p.m snack for those children in our extended care)
- bring a water bottle with your child’s name on it
- apply sunscreen BEFORE dropping your child off, and pack a bottle of high SPF sunscreen with your child’s name on it.
(Sunscreen will be re-applied in the afternoon, young campers will be assisted.)
- bring a sun hat and wear comfortable clothing that protects shoulders from the sun (tank tops are discouraged) and pack extra clothes in case of accidents or messiness from our amazing hands on experiences
- a bathing suit and towel each day in case we venture out to the splash pad or for swimming trips
- comfortable running shoes are highly recommended, flip flops are not permitted except for water play.
- running late or absent? If you are going to be later than 9am or absent, please call 905-902-1261 or 905-902-1236 (no emails) .
We call families at 9:30am for any child absent without notice as per our safe arrival policy.
- check in on the 2nd Floor, Room 2047
- have a terrific, fun experience!
NOTE: *We are a PEANUT, TREE NUT AND SESAME free program, as we have children with severe anaphylactic allergies.
Hours of operation:
7am until 6pm + extended hours (7-9am and 4-6pm) are included in your fee. A healthy snack will be provided during extended hours.
Absences & Urgent Calls:
If you need to get in touch with us, are going to be later than 9am or absent, please call 905-902-1261 or 905-902-1236 only. Emailed messages are not normally monitored during the day.
If you have not notified us about an absence, we will contact you at 9:30am by telephone to confirm the non-arrival of your child as per our safe arrival policy.
Parking & Location:
215 Parkside Drive (Waterdown District High School) East Student Parking Lot (look for the signs) Please park in any designated spot. You may not park, stop or idle in the drop-off / fire zone (we get complaints from the school and will have cars towed).
Important: The SouthEast WDHS Entrance is the one closer to Centre Road/Hamilton Street North – you can not cross through the school from the main entrance (nor drive from the Main Parking Lot to the Student Parking Lot).
We do not permit children to arrive and leave unaccompanied from our programs, you must park then come in to sign-in and sign out your child(ren).
Each day, enter at the East Entrance and
come up the stairs to check in at our “Check Point Room” – Room 2047 on your left.
First day: look for child’s name / group on the white board and then proceed to the sign in tables. The different tables will be clearly identified.
- Jr. Explorers are either the Owls, Toucans or Minnows
- Sr. Adventures & Mavericks are different colored groups
At your sign-in table you will be greeted by one of our Camp Leaders. This would be a good time to communicate any specific needs, pre-arranged medication etc.
Once you have checked in you will write your child/children’s name on a locker which will be clearly marked to match your group (colour coordinated) and will remain the same for the week. Staff will direct you to the appropriate classroom where your fun day begins!
Please do not be afraid to ask our counsellors in white shirts for assistance if you need any help and remember the first day of each week can be a little bit chaotic!! We are all here to help and get ready for an awesome week!!
At 9:15am sharp on the first day our campers will go for a morning pep rally and some exercise to get us ready for the day and the amazing week ahead of us. On the first day the camp leaders will be introduced to all campers, and then your group leaders will gather their group and continue the planned portion of our program.
Enter at the same location as drop off. After 4pm please check the board in the middle of the hallway to find out which room your children’s group will be. Pick-up your child/children and sign them out in the check point room. As this time of day it can become very busy please be patient and remember as numbers get lower we will be merging children into different groups. We do our best to make this as organized as possible.
Children must be picked up by their parent/guardian, or a pre-designated adult contact. We may ask for ID from all visitors to ensure child safety. Any person picking up who is not the parent will be required to bring valid photo identification (no exceptions) and the parent must give us prior consent.
Friday Parent Drop-In:
Parents are invited to our camp wide show and share on Friday July 9 drop-in basis from 3:30-5:30pm.
Lost & Found:
Each year we accumulate an abundance of un-marked clothing, water bottles, knap sacks and other personal items. When leaving the program on your last day, please remember to cruise by the Lost & Found table on your way out!
Jr. Explorers JK/SK
This dino-mite week is filled with fossil discovery, dinosaur crafts and exciting gross motor activities. On Thursday we have a special dinosaur assembly with the Chamelea Centre coming to visit and on Friday each junior group will have a dinosaur stomping party filled with dancing, dino games and treats and eats!
TRIP THURSDAY: WALK TO MEMORIAL PARK
REMEMBER YOUR BATHING SUIT, TOWEL AND WATER BOTTLE
Sr. Adventurers GR1-12yrs
From logic and mystery to challenges and solutions our campers will participate in many different activities such as decoding and building their own escape rooms. On Thursday we have the Chamelea Centre coming to do two age appropriate presentations for our younger adventurers and science based workshops for the oldest!
TRIP WEDNESDAY: WALK TO MEMORIAL PARK
REMEMBER YOUR BATHING SUIT, TOWEL AND WATER BOTTLE
TRIP THURSDAY: COMMUNITY CLUE WALK
PLEASE BRING CLOSE TOED SHOES
Mavericks will be engaged full force in the lives of a detective, one of the most important pieces of the puzzle when it comes to solving crimes and keeping our communities safe. We will get to engage in our very own camp “Police Academy” on Monday, visit Oakville’s police headquarters and solve our very own “crime scenes.”
TRIP THURSDAY: OAKVILLE POLICE HEADQUARTERS
ARRIVE BY 8:30
CLOSED-TOED SHOES, LUNCHES
If you have any urgent messages that need to be delivered to the Camp please call us on our site phone: 905-902-1261 or 905-902-1236
Emailed messages may or may not be monitored during the day.
If you have questions about your registration (other than Week 1), please email: email@example.com
We cannot wait to get this week started and start making some unforgettable moments!
Changes and Refunds
- Cancellation or withdrawal within 15 days of Program Day start: No refund of paid fees or deposits.
- Cancellations due to serious medical reason (requiring hospitalization or affecting ambulatory mobility): Subject to the Executive Director’s discretion. If granted, will receive a pro-rated refund for full day(s) to be missed (after notification) less a $35 administration fee. An original and verifiable doctor’s letter will be required for notification. Refunds are not given for absence due to any communicable illnesses or parasites (cold, flu, chicken pox, mumps, lice, etc.), elective or scheduled medical/dental reasons.
- Credits or refunds can not be given for late arrival, early departure, illness, absences, dismissal, or program / facility closures due to emergency, weather or any other unforeseen circumstances.
The financial obligations of Camp Waterdown are fixed for each program based on the number of registered campers and the withdrawal of a camper does not lessen our operating expenses.
The online 2018 Summer Camp Registration Form does not accept changes or additions. Changes are only made by email or change request form.